Friday, February 10, 2017

Jonah ~ Nikki Kelly (earc) review [@Styclar @FierceReads @FeiwelFriends]

Jonah (Styclar Saga #3)
Feiwel & Friends
February 07, 2017
352 pages
add to Goodreads/buy from Book Depository/or Amazon

** Reviews of Lailah (Styclar Saga #1) and Gabriel (Styclar Saga #2) **

The conclusion of the Styclar Saga trilogy focuses on Jonah, the vampire badboy with a hunger for Lailah and a rivalry with the angel Gabriel.

Jonah is the vampire who saved Lailah from the appetites of even darker evil: the vampire Purebloods. Now he must decide whether he will give up his existence so that Lailah will survive—even if it means that she will spend eternity with his friend and rival, the angel Gabriel.

This stunning conclusion to the Styclar Saga will have fans deciding once and for all: Team Jonah or Team Gabriel?

I think I may have liked both Jonah and Gabriel a bit less in Jonah than I did in Lailah and Gabriel. Yet, at the same time, I really liked all that we learned about the characters, the different dimensions, and what they would all need to - and/or want to - do to keep others safe.

The things Jonah did or said, particularly in the beginning, that I found off-putting, were also things that I knew needed to happen. (I do feel the need to note that a lot of people will probably love how he was. I just did not.) So, while I may not have loved all of the characters as much (some of how Jonah acted, that we saw less of Gabriel), were also really central to the advancement of the plot. (Which leaves me all kinds of jumbled up about how I feel.)

The beginning and where it took the characters and the action was really smartly done. It was unexpected, yet still fit in with what we've learned about the world in the Styclar Saga and how things work. It got everyone to exactly when and where was needed.

There was one element of the ending that I figured out pretty early on but I liked it (more and more the closer it came to the ending) because it really amped up the tension and the suspense. I thought I had it figured out and what it would mean but didn't know if I was right or if the characters would figure it out, too. It really kept me turning those pages.

The world building in this series was fantastic right up until the very end. I love how the author took some known things (arch angels, vampires, etc) but spun them in a new direction. How the angels, demons, humans, vampires, even the Sealgaire all interact, the 'rules' for each of them and how they're all a part of the larger whole was brilliant.

I am sorry to see the Styclar Saga come to an end, but it was a very satisfying end. The journey all of the characters undertook from the first page of Lailah to (literally) the last page of Jonah, all that readers learned about the different dimensions, the characters and their histories made for some great reading* and I look forward to what's next from Nikki Kelly!


*Not to mention, each of the three books had a killer ending!






digital review copy received, thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...