Friday, November 13, 2009

Psych Major Syndrome ~ Alicia Thompson review

Miami Book Fair International review
Psych Major Syndrome
August 11, 2009
336 Pages
Hyperion Books
Amazon

Leigh Nolan is a freshman at the not so average Stiles College (students sign contracts saying how many courses they'll pass in a given semester, create classes, etc) and is taken Into to Psychology. She knows how to psychoanalyze everyone else but it just might be Leigh that needs the analyzing.

With the boyfriend from high school she's been dating for over a year (who's attending Stiles as well) but hasn't had sex with and the eccentric parents who read Taro cards and run an eccentric bed and breakfast, Leigh's far from normal.

But things are about to get ever more confusing when college really gets going and relationships change and new ones form.


Psych Major Syndrome isn't the easiest book to summarize because it's really just about Leigh's first year of college and how her life changes and how her Psych class works into it all. I wasn't really sure I wanted to read the book at first--probably because I was so unsure what it was about. And I'll admit that the first half of the book took me a while to get through but the second half of the book is where I really started to enjoy it.

Leigh's family and her roommate Ami are kind of crazy and the other maybe five secondary characters all have little neuroses of their own that make it fun to have them included in the story.

The book was well written and humorous and also realistic, but as I said, the first half of the book was slow for me. I don't know if it was the plot or that it was setting things up...or something else but I definitely enjoyed the end of the book much more.

7/10 (though really it's more a 6/10 and an 8/10 that average to a 7)


*I don't have my computer now--the hotel doesn't have free internet so I can't save things, I'll add a cover photo Sunday-ish when I'm home.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... when I'm in the mood for a book like this I'll have to check it out, but I just finished a slow book and I want something quick and exciting right now...

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...