Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday [@ibizoboi @harperteen @BalzerandBray]

Waiting On Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine

My pick for this week:



AMERICAN STREET by Ibi Zoboi

On the corner of American Street and Joy Road, Fabiola Toussaint thought she would finally find une belle vie—a good life.

But after they leave Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Fabiola’s mother is detained by U.S. immigration, leaving Fabiola to navigate her loud American cousins, Chantal, Donna, and Princess; the grittiness of Detroit’s west side; a new school; and a surprising romance, all on her own.

Just as she finds her footing in this strange new world, a dangerous proposition presents itself, and Fabiola soon realizes that freedom comes at a cost. Trapped at the crossroads of an impossible choice, will she pay the price for the American dream?



published February 14, 2017 by Blazer + Bray

add to your Goodreads shelf // pre-order from Book Depo // or Amazon


Why?

I enjoy books that show us different cultures or countries and/or those that give us characters adapting to somewhere new. When the character is adapting to life somewhere more familiar to me, their thoughts and feelings about how it's different from where they're from, from home really give me an idea of what their home (in this case Port-au-Prince) was like, while connecting me with the character.

I also really appreciate books that handle current and pertinent issues, too - like Fabiola's mother being detained by immigration.

I look forward to seeing how this story deals with its character, her life and the changes in that life along with all of the choices she must make.


That's my pick for this week, what's yours? Tell me in the comments and/or link me to your own post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...