Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Worlds to Visit


This week's Ten: 
it's a 'Freebie' week so I decided on Top Ten Book Settings and/or Worlds I Would Like to Visit

(With 'visit' being a very important word! Some of these are not places I would want to stay long term.)

  1. Icarus and/or the planet from These Broken Stars - if you've read the book then you know why I wouldn't want to be on/in either of these places too long but I would love just a little bit.
  2. While We Run's Sydney - This would sort of be a cautionary tale (ie 'Don't do this or this or look what will happen') and isn't really a future I want but I like the technology and change in housing Healey imagined.
  3. Mars (The Martian) - I am nowhere near as MacGyver-y as Mark Watney so any sort of extended stay would be fatal but who doesn't want to see Mars? And maybe setup as it was in The Martian. (But, again, with an flawless means of escape.)
  4. London with Fae from All That Glows and All that Burns - the combination of the British monarchy and ancient fae is just fun. I would want to be able to see everything and everyone - though without being in any sort of mortal peril, of course.
  5. Internment from Perfect Ruin - I don't think I would love this society and how it functions, but a world that's floating in the sky? I do want to check that out.
  6. Rebecca's Manderley - "Last night I dreamt of Manderley again." There aren't many more well known first sentences. It's a book I love and I would equally love to see this great home.
  7. The school from The Finishing School series - aside from everything I love at the school (the steampunk creations, the characters), the school itself is a giant, floating dirigible who doesn't want to visit there?!
  8. The Titanic (The Dressmaker) - the 'why' of this visit's shortness should be pretty obvious! I find the Titanic fascinating, though and really loved the story in The Dressmaker
  9. The Spaceship from Across the Universe - lately, I am pretty fascinated (slash obsessed) with giant spaceship civilizations travelling in deep space. I blame books (this one, The 100, etc) but also the first ep of Syfy's "Ascension." I wouldn't want to live on it for my entire life or even years and years, but still, being a part of that kind of society is really intriguing.
  10. Lola and Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door - Yes, they're a 'who' not a 'where' but with this one I don't care much about the location, just who'd be there. I want to meet Cricket and be BFF's with Lola. A San Francisco visit would, of course, be great fun but I'd go visit them anywhere.

Are there any book worlds (or specific locations) you would want to visit? Please let me know - I'm always looking for more places to travel, even if only in my imagination!

And don't forget to link me to your own Top Ten Tuesday post.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read The Martian! And I always think Titanic would be cool, as long as I got off before it sunk. Great post!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many of these that I haven't heard of! But MANDERLEY! I love finding readers who have read Rebecca! It was one of the first classics I've read, and I still reread it every few years.

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...