If you're still wondering what to buy someone for a present, My True Love Gave to Me is likely perfect choice. (Unless, I suppose they're a no-fun middle aged male. [Fun ones will likely be okay with it.])
Edited by Stephanie Perkins (author of Anna & the French Kiss, Lola & the Boy Next Door, & Isla & the Happily Ever After) MTLGtM contains stories from some great authors and does't focus solely on Christmas; stories feature other wintery holidays, too.
The review was originally posted in October when the book was released, but I wanted to repost it now to remind everyone how great it is - and that they should go buy it!
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
St Martins Press
October 14, 2014
add to Goodreads/buy from Book Depo/or Amazon
If you love holiday stories, holiday movies, made-for-TV-holiday specials, holiday episodes of your favorite sitcoms and, especially, if you love holiday anthologies, you’re going to fall in love with MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME: TWELVE HOLIDAY STORIES by twelve bestselling young adult writers, edited by international bestselling author Stephanie Perkins.
First, the contents of My True Love Gave to Me:
- "Midnights" by Rainbow Rowell (starts at 1%*)
- "The Lady and the Fox" by Kelly Link (at 8%)
- "Angels in the Snow" by Matt De La Pena (at 16%)
- "Polaris is Where You'll Find Me" by Jenny Han (at 26%)
- "It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown" by Stephanie Perkins (at 31%)
- "Your Temporary Santa" by David Levithan (at 42%)
- "Krampuslauf" by Holly Black (at 47%)
- "What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?" by Gayle Forman (at 55%)
- "Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus" by Myra McEntire (at 63%)
- "Welcome to Christmas, CA" by Kiersten White (at 71%)
- "Star of Bethlehem" by Ally Carter (at 82%)
- "The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer" by Laini Taylor (at 91%)
Even while I'm strongly lamenting the end of summer, My True Love Gave to Me remindefd me how much I love the holidays and got me excited for their approach. It will definitely get you in the holidays spirit.
My True Love Gave to Me is a great collection of authors who write in an assortment of YA genres. The anthology may be the most diverse I have read. From the characters' religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and/or gender, to the holidays the stories center on, and whether they were paranormal or contemporary, there is something for seemingly every reader. (Which will make it a great holiday gift.) . . . .