Thursday, December 27, 2012

Legend ~ Marie Lu (audio) review

Legend
Putnam Juvenile
November 29, 2011
305 pages
add to Goodreads/buy from Book Depo/or Amazon

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

What was your biggest 'surprise' novel of 2012? The one that gave you something totally other than you were expecting from it? For me it was definitely Legend by Marie Lu -- which may be a bit of a cheat as it was released at the end of November of 2011, but as I read it in 2012, it's counting.

Something I read about Legend prior to its release dissuaded me from reading it when it was first released. Then, since then, I've only remembered that I decided not to read it - not why - and not read it. But a few weeks ago I was looking for a YA audio book I hadn't read/listened to before and came across Legend.

Whatever convinced me not to read it back in 2011? I curse you.

I can't remember the last time I fell in love with a books main character and wished for him to be real. (Even if the fact that he's fifteen makes that thought slightly creepy on my part.) It's likely been since Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry or Carolee Dean's Take Me There that I've loved a male YA character and his relationship/interactions with the other/female main character so much. Day isn't the classic bad boy character, but he's also not a tender wrongly portrayed innocent.

Day and June did seem older than their fifteen years. While June's age was given right away and then some information was given that also, actually, explained her seeming older, Day's age was not (I don't think) given for a bit longer and I thought he was older. In Legend, however their age works - both them being fifteen and them seeming older - quite brilliantly.

Now that we know I LOVE the characters - like I'm madly in love with Day, June has a German shepherd which kind of wins me over on its own but then she's pretty snazz, too - what about the plot? This isn't a novel that forgot about its plot in favor of its characters. There's the Republic with its districts that are separate and not equal, the war, and the how everyone's fate is decided in the Republic. Marie Lu came up with a society for Legend and seems to have thought it out really well.

The story doesn't skimp on the violence but it doesn't add it in where its not necessary (or if its unnecessary it's necessarily unnecessary, if that makes any sense). It may be hard to read about/listen to but it's an important part of the character's tale and moves their story forward.

For how much more we get to see of their world as well more of some characters I heart so madly, I cannot wait for Prodigy's release at the end of January. (So thing that I cursed earlier - about four paragraphs up? Yeah, I kind of want to thank you now because I only have to wait a month now.)

(A small note on the audio book, I love that as the book has two narrators -- Day and June -- the audio book has a separate narrator for each character.)

Rating: 10+/10


Other books you might also enjoy: Take Me There by Carolee Dean, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


 

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to read this book so badly when it first came out. For one reason or another I never got around to it, but your review has totally reminded me why I couldn't wait for this one! Only a month until Prodigy?! I should probably find a copy of this one quick!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...