Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday

I have three books for my Waiting on Wednesday picks this week - not because I want to read any of them any less than any of the others (or any previous picks), simply because there were too many great books only to pick just one!!

Timepiece
EgmontUSA
June 12, 2012
336 pages
add it on Goodreads/buy it or add it on Amazon



I don't think there's a synopsis out for this novel but I really don't care. It's the second book in the series, after Hourglass, and that is absolutely, positively enough for me. I need to read it. Right. Now.



What She Left Behind
Simon Pulse
May 1, 2012
256 pages
add on Goodreads/buy on Amazon

"Don’t even think of leaving…I will find you,” he whispered. “Guaranteed.”

Sara and her mom have a plan to finally escape Sara’s abusive father. But when her mom doesn’t show up as expected, Sara’s terrified. Her father says that she’s on a business trip, but Sara knows he’s lying. Her mom is missing—and her dad had something to do with it. Each day that passes, Sara’s more on edge. Her friends know that something’s wrong, but she won’t endanger anyone else with her secret. And with her dad growing increasingly violent, Sara must figure out what happened to her mom before it’s too late…for them both" (via Goodreads)
While reading this would probably have me on pins and needles the entire time, it sounds like an incredibly gripping novel I just can't wait to read - due, not in small part to Kimberly Sabatini's (author of the upcoming Touching the Surface) review of it on Goodreads: "... morbidly beautiful. It is the harsh reality of a less than ideal life, threaded with moments of love and hope." How have-to-read-it does that make it sound? Now, not only can I not wait to read What She Left Behind but I"m even more excited about Touching the Surface!


Lies Beneath
Delacorte Books for Young Readers
June 12, 2012
320 pages (A)/288 pages (G)
add on Goodreads/buy on Amazon

"Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him." (synopsis from Amazon & Goodreads)

First, let's just mention that cover! It has a sort of creepy ethereal quality to it - if that's even a thing. The water and the girl are beautiful but the red does also look a bit like blood. Which brings us to why I really kind of love the sound of this novel: murderous mermaids? Revenge? Then loving screwing everything up? Sounds rather perfect.

(And I am still kind of stuck on the evil mermaids bit. I said when I reviewed Between the Sea and Sky that I hadn't read a lot of mermaid books and I can't think of a better place to change that than with Lies Beneath where they're not the Disney kind of mermaids.)



Those are my picks for today - what are you Waiting On?

2 comments:

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...