Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

This is a book I have on my Goodreads & LibraryThing wishlists (though not for as long as I've wanted it--I'm kind of slow with those things sometimes!) and I book that I emailled the author about (purey for some squee) way back in August :D

If you're like me and loved Charlotte Doyle when you read it in (or out of) school and need another book with a girl at sea for even part of the book, then you'll be eagerly anticipating Everlasting by Angie Frazier, too

from the Amazon product page, here's the book summary:


Sailing aboard her father's ship is all seventeen-year-old Camille Rowen has ever wanted. But as a lady in 1855 San Francisco, her future is set: marry a man she doesn't love in order to preseve her social standing. On her last voyage
before the wedding, Camille learns the mother she has always believed dead is in fact alive and in Australia. When their Sydney-bound ship goes down in a gale, and her father dies, Camille sets out to find her mother and a map in her possession - a map believed to lead to a stone that once belonged to the legendary civilization of the immortals.

The stone can do exactly what Camille wants most: bring someone back from the dead. Unfortunately, her father's adversary is also on the hunt for the stone, and she must race him to it. The only person Camille can depend on is Oscar - a handsome young sailor and her father's first mate - who is in love with Camille and whom she is
inexplicably drawn to despite his low social standing and her pending wedding vows.

With an Australian card shark acting as their guide, Camille eludes murderous bushrangers, traverses dangerous highlands, evades a curse placed on the stone, and unravels the mystery behind her mother's disappearance sixteen years earlier. But when another death shakes her conviction to resurrect her father, Camille must choose what - and who - matters most.

and here's a link to that Amazon page: Everlasting by Angie Frazier and the book's page at Angie Frazier's website.

Out June 1, 2010 (Scholastic Press, 336 pages, hardcover) ...guess I'll have to find some way to keep waiting :)

4 comments:

  1. Great pick! I have this one in my TBR pile, and I'm really looking forward to starting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this does sound interesting. I don't know if I've ever read the summary before. I didn't really like Charlotte Doyle, but this one sounds way better. :)

    I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

    http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

    --Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lauren
    Oooh, now I'm jealous of you!!

    @ Shooting Stars Mag
    I think a lot of this book is actually not at sea, so in that way it'll be different from Charlotte Doyle...

    and I have now entered that giveaway--thanks for letting me know about it


    And thank you to both of you for reading and commenting

    -Lucile

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very good, I will put this on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...