Friday, June 12, 2009

movie recommendation...

Something not book related while I write up some book reviews:

Last Sunday, Lifetime premiered a movie (sidenote? premiering a movie at 2pm on a Sunday with little publicity seems kind of odd) starring Blake Lively and Max Minghella. I thought Elvis and Anabelle was going to be just another crazy Lifetime movie but apparently it's a movie movie that premiered at South by Southwest and then didn't get distributed because financial issues or something...

It's a really good movie. Anabelle is the beauty queen with overbearing parents (especially her mother played by Mary Steenburgen) who dies, yep she dies pretty soon into the movie. And Elvis is the mortician sons (Joe Montegna is his hunchback father who hasn't been quite right since his wife's death). After Elvis' kiss reawakens Anabelle the movie really gets going, her mother's determined to cash in on their fame the event brings but Anabelle finds herself changed. And drawn back to the farm house/funeral home. (It's a weird movie to summarize. Check out the site for more.)

I really, really hope they release this on DVD or show it on TV again so I can record it or buy it because I'd love to see it again.

I'm surprised with the rather big name stars in it and Gossip Girl being so big now that they haven't released it on DVD yet, actually (I liked Blake in this more than I've liked her in SoTP 1 or 2 or Accepted or the GG that I've seen).

(photo from Blake Lively Web)

1 comment:

  1. wow, thanks for posting!
    I'll definitely go n check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...